Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Night at the Movies

Last night I was just about to add a post to my blog when I accidentally deleted it. I felt like such an idiot. Here is what I remember from that post along with some extra. Had a bit of a movie night on Sunday.

imageIf you've been following my blog, you know that I needed to watch The Strangers because we are doing the script very soon with the Script Club from Simply Scripts. So I watched it. It was a similar sort of movie as Halloween and even borrowed some imagery from the movie, a masked killer sort of thing. It managed to keep an adequate amount of tension throughout, while trying to deliver a bit more character than usual. This would have worked well, but the acting by Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman was pretty average.

I'm not saying I didn't like the movie, but I thought it could have been better than it was. I had a couple of issues with the story itself. First of all they never quite explain why there is so much drama between the young couple at the beginning of the film. They sort of explain what happened to cause the struggle but they never fully explain her reasons. Trying to be oblique and artsy in a movie where that sort of thing clearly does not belong.

The other thing was that I had a believability problem with the killers. Toward the end of the movie they make it pretty clear that they haven't done this killing thing very often - or at least one of them hasn't. Yet for some reason they are able to appear and disappear with such mastery while they terrorise the young couple and they never make a mistake once. Never get seen when they aren't supposed to be seen, never get clumsy, never have any problem at all with their reign of terror. This to me was unrealistic.

Lastly, this movie really didn't scare me much. If I lived in a remote location and was home alone then I probably would have been terrified. But my neighbours are very close and this sort of thing didn't strike me as something that would easily happen here, so it really didn't bother me. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is going to feel that way about it.

image Earlier in the evening I watched Fracture. This was a fairly run of the mill but well-written thriller, a courtroom/catch the killer at his game sort of movie. The pacing was good and the story interesting enough. It was recommended to me by the girl at the video rental place because she likes Anthony Hopkins. And she must really like Anthony because his performance, to me, seemed like he was pretty much going through the motions. Whether that really affected the movie all that much is up to how much you like Anthony.

The other performances Ryan Gosling and Billy Burke were quite good. It didn't knock my socks off like The Illusionist did but then again I'm not even sure why I keep comparing the two in my head. They were vastly different movies.

The best part about this was the DVD because it had alternate endings. I watched both. I liked the one they actually used the best.

Anyway, that's it for me. Tomorrow I start a new job and I have lots I want to do before I head off to bed tonight. Will I get it done? Probably not but I give it a try anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment